Clyde Machines, Inc., a Minnesota C Corporation established in 1961, is wholly owned with the majority of the stock held by family members. Company founder, Clyde W. Olson, was born in 1918 in Minnesota. He then moved to North Dakota where he grew up on his father’s farm. In 1949, Clyde and a partner formed the True-Aire Company in Minneapolis, Minnesota where they manufactured tractor skis and bale stackers. In 1959, he was employed by the Melroe Corporation (Bobcat) in Gwinner, North Dakota as head of their engineering and design department. After leaving Gwinner in 1961, he settled in Glenwood, Minnesota to start Clyde Machines, Inc.
The company began manufacturing precision hydraulic motors for tampers used by utility companies. Shortly thereafter, production of towbars, baggage carts, commissary trucks, water trucks, and lavatory trucks were manufactured, which led to the beginning of Clyde Aircraft Ground Support Equipment. Since Clyde Olson’s death in 1971, his daughters, Jennifer Barsness and Araura Nestor, continued to operate Clyde Machines, Inc. as a woman owned and operated corporation. In 2017, they both transitioned to the Board of Directors and currently Chad Barsness serves as President and Clay Nestor as the Vice-President.
The present equipment line has grown to include: Cargo Pallet Trailers, Container Trailers, Towbars, Maintenance Stands, Crew Stairs, Passenger Stairs, Slave Pallets, Pallet Racks, Wheel & Brake Changers, Baggage Carts, and new designs to meet the ever-changing airline industry, both domestic and abroad.